Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

For Labor Day weekend, Yung and I decided to head down to Austin for a couple days. Here are a few "firsts" that happened on the trip:

-We climbed Enchanted Rock.

-Then we waited 30+ minutes for a snow cone.

-I had ice cream made with goat cheese, thyme, and honey. I couldn't tell whether I loved it or whether I wanted to throw up. Although I love goat cheese, I have decided that cheese does not belong in ice cream. Stick to the basics, people!

-We had 2 fried eggs on top of some delicious french fries.

-We visited the state capitol building.

Every year, I feel the need to visit my alma mater, get a new school tshirt, and check out the campus to see what is new. The whole hour (or two) of us walking in the hot sun was me pointing to a statue and saying "that wasn't there before" and "that building didn't used to be there" and "look at that fountain! That's new!" Poor Yung :) But seriously-so much changes every time I return to campus. 

On our 2nd day in Austin, we decide to drive to Llano County and climb Enchanted Rock. We hiked up to the summit, and did not have time (or maybe we didn't have the energy...) to explore any of the other trails. I was surprised by the amount of people that were there on such a hot day. 






Can you see the fried eggs on top of the fries? We were instant fans.

Our capitol visit was spur of the moment, but it turned out to be a very nice walk around the park surrounding the building. 

*All photos courtesy of @yungtsai.*

Here's a list of restaurants we hit, places we visited, and where we stayed:

Food:
Common Grounds
George's
Katie's Custard
Guero's Taco Bar
Taco Shack
Silo on 7th
Lick
Taco Deli
Houndstooth Coffee

Sites we saw:
Czech stop in West-Does it count when we just looked at the food, instead of waiting in the line that wrapped around the bakery to order a kolache?
Baylor University
Magnolia-Does it count that we only saw the outside? The line to get in circled around the parking lot.
Uncommon Objects
South Congress Ave
6th Street-We walked all the way from South Congress to 6th street. It was interesting to see the neighborhoods change from hipster to upscale to crazy.
Enchanted Rock
Hamilton Pool-I know it doesn't count when we were not allowed into the park because it was full.

Where we stayed:
Aloft Hotel

All in all, Austin treated us very well. We hit lines almost everywhere we went, and the holiday traffic was a beating, but it was a great way to kick off the fall season <3 I was even able to finish an entire book, so it was definitely a win-win weekend for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...