Monday, September 21, 2015

Aaron's White Coat Ceremony

During the first weekend of August, my parents and I drove to New Orleans to take part in Aaron's White Coat Ceremony. The White Coat Ceremony is a tradition in which medical students are presented with their white coats prior to entering into the clinical portion of their training. The ritual is not only limited to medical students, but extends to many other professional health education programs as well. 

Aaron is currently in his 2nd year of medical school, and this was a nice way to meet some of his friends and hear a few teachers speak. The theme was focused on humanism in medicine, treating the patient as a whole, and not just treating their disease. I come from a nursing background, and it was great to hear that this philosophy is important to the clinicians and colleagues that are teaching my little brother. It is can be difficult to see the big picture when you are right in the middle of studying for an exam, preparing for a lecture, or practicing your assessment yet again, on another standardized patient. I often feel like I am still "connecting the dots" and I am most definitely learning on the job each and every day.

We are so proud of Aaron. He not only excels in academics, but has a heart for serving his community and his school. 

















Of course, a trip to New Orleans would not be complete without an order of beignets and cafe au lait. I can't wait to visit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...