Friday, January 30, 2015

Professor is Three

Professor, nee Professor James Hidalgo Moriarty, turned 3 years old last weekend. He got to share some home made doggy carrot cake with his best friend, Ruby. I never imagined I would be a mom to such a big dog, but apparently, there are bigger plans out there for me. I can't believe my little puppy is 21 years old in human years. We have come a long way together since puppy hood.  There are a lot of things I would do differently as a dog mom, the second time around, but overall, things have really improved. Here is some info about Professor I know you would not want to miss:

Weight:
60 lbs- 65 lbs

Length:
I have tried to measure him while he is stretched out and sleeping, but he always sees me and curls up into a ball.  

Eating Habits:
4 cups of Royal Canin divided into 2 servings each day. He drinks a lot of water, just like his mama. 

Favorite Foods:
Professor has tried apples, bananas, lettuce, carrots, peanut butter, bacon, cheese, and chicken. I don't feed him people food much, and I try to give him all natural treats or little bits of cheese and chicken. He is destined to be a "meat and potatoes" boy, because he pretty much picks around the fruit and veggies and goes for the good stuff.  Cheese is his absolute favorite.

Sleeping:
Professor is a good sleeper. He used to sleep in his kennel each night, but he is now calm enough to be able to sleep in my room with me. He went through a phase where he would get up at 7 am on the dot every morning, but we have broken that habit for a while. He also went through a phase where he would wake up at 3 am and be ready for the day to begin. Yes, I have walked him at 3 am. And even 2 am and 4 am. Yes, I called my vet to ask her for advice, and she so graciously listened to me and even gave me her email address and told me to contact her anytime. To a frantic puppy mom, that meant so much.

Favorite activities:
Going on long walks, running the field, chasing squirrels, cats, and rabbits, playing with his toys (aka tearing up his toys), having his head scratched and belly rubbed, and getting big hugs.

Tricks and Commands:
Professor can sit, stay (when he chooses to), shake, lay down, sit up (from the laying position), and catch a treat in his mouth (when I throw it to him). I was really into teaching things to him when he was younger, but we have slacked off in this department.

Loves:
Being near people and being nosy. He thinks it's all about him.

Dislikes:
Cats, squirrels, rabbits.  I can't tell if he wants to play with them or eat them, but he gets very agitated whenever he sees any of the above.

Biggest accomplishment to date:
Graduating from Pet Smart's puppy class. They probably let everyone graduate, but lets just say he had to go to time out more than once, and was even asked to sit next to the teacher due to misbehaving. He was a little bit rambunctious as a puppy.

Best Quality:
His hair. And his smile.

Here are some pictures in no particular order:

1st beach trip to South Padre. I don't really remember him being that small. He seriously grew so fast. 

After his first stitches (his ear got bit at daycare).


At puppy class.


Posing with Ruby.

Being so sweet and sitting so still. 


Just hanging out with Ruby.

Ruby's birthday party last month.

Professor's birthday cake (I forgot to buy a candle, but no one noticed).

Thanksgiving 2014 in Lake Charles. Being loved on by everyone. 

Being sweet again.


 Everyone should get a puppy dog just like Professor. Although he has made me more of a homebody, he is a great companion and brings plenty of joy to me each day. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...