Sunday, March 20, 2016

Our Journey to 13.1

This morning, Yung and I ran our first half marathon. 13.1 miles! We accomplished the first item on my 30 before 30 list


It all started a few years ago when I got it in my head that this would be a great goal for myself. I'm not a runner, nor am I really very athletic, but I do have a desire to somewhat excel in this area of life. We signed up for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon last July to give us plenty of time to train.

Training did not really go as planned. Running does not come naturally to either Yung or I. In December, things were going pretty well on the treadmill. In January, we started really running outdoors and I discovered how difficult it was. It was then that I accepted it in my heart that I don't really like running. I knew I was going to push through with the race, but I finally admitted to myself that I would so rather do my group exercise classes than run for hours at a time.

After moderate effort and a somewhat unproductive couple of months of running, we somehow trotted along and inched our way closer and closer to 13.1.

Today was beautiful, and also the first day of Spring. Aside from the wind, we could not have asked for better weather. Running is different when you are running with thousands of people by your side and when there are cheerleaders and rock bands along the way.

We found our way running around downtown Dallas and in neighborhoods we have yet to explore by foot. We also witnessed our first speed walker who sped by us very quickly. It was amazing. There was also a man with a prosthetic leg that was running faster than most. Truly admirable.



Thank you to all of the police officers and volunteers for keeping us safe and hydrated throughout the race. And thank ya'll for reading along. I'm going to go soak my feet in ice now. Until next time...maybe a triathlon? ;)


From the pre-race Health Expo

Oh, and our post-run meal...After a slow and careful walk back to the car, we got pizza, of course!
For the love of pizza and running - xoxo -
Connie

All photos contributed by Yung.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...